Max. size problem

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Hi Christian - just downloaded and started to play - good work.

Found an issue with one of my SDFs which has been created with an upsized default max. size. - the analyzer complains when I try to open it:
"The database file is larger than the configured maximum database size. This setting takes effect on the first concurrent database connection only. [ Required Max Database Size (in MB; 0 if unknown) = 282 ]"

Actually, the db is now only 40+MB, it just needed to be bigger upon creation.
Anyway, it can't be opend in Analyzer.

FYI
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for reporting this. This was a known issue and was supposed to be fixed some time ago. I'm very curious what's wrong. Would you mind sending me a copy of the database? You should be able to Zip/Rar compress the database down to 4 or 5 MB if it hasn't been compressed using the SQLCE shrink/compress yet. You can also purge the data and just send me the database without data

I will understand if you prefer not to send the database, if this is the case then may I ask which version of SQLCE does your database target?

Regards,
Chris
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Hi Christian,
Yeah, sorry its someone else’s data – can’t really send
But the version is 3.5
I can give you info on how to replicate – I think it might be simple: when you create the db in the first place, append this to your connection string:
“Max Database Size = 512;”
I needed this when I was importing into a file that grew to 288Mb then (auto-)shrunk after records were deleted, back down to 44Mb
BUT it seems that once created with this parameter it can’t be opened on any other device that does not have it in the connection spec. – even after the actual size has shrunk!
This might make it difficult for you... <g>
HTH
Steve
Jul 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I should add that if you can’t easily replicate it using my ‘how-to’, then I’ll send you the shell I have.
There’s a couple of dozen tables to clear out first.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Hi Steve,

I created a new SQLCE 3.5 where i set the Max Database Size = 512, but I don't have any trouble opening it. Can you check what version of SQL Compact Query Analyzer you're using?

If it isn't too much trouble maybe you can send me the database without the data. Or perhaps just the database script and I'll create re-create it myself

Regards,
Chris
Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Edited Jul 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM
     Hi Christian  My Analyser is a newly-downloaded 1.0.1.1511 from Codeplex.  I have managed to get you a nice file to test – I removed sensitive info &lt;g&gt;... and the db is now only 2Mb – but Analyser still refuses to open it!   Anyway file is attached – HTH – let me know how you go?  Steve                   
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Hi Steve,

I can't seem to find any attachment anywhere. Can you send it to christian [dot] helle [at] outlook [dot] com instead?

Regards,
Chris
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Hi Steve,

I received the attachment and could reproduce the error. I also managed to find and fix the bug. I'll put up a new release tonight or tomorrow. The changes have been committed to source code if in case it can't wait and you want to build it yourself

Regards,
Chris
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Ok... I can wait until its a ‘formal’ release <g> – glad you got it sorted.
Aug 2, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Hi Christian – when do you expect to post the updated release on your CodePlex page?
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Hi Steve,

Sorry I forgot to update you. I uploaded a new build 2 days ago but I forgot to set it as the recommended release so it was never displayed on the front page

Regards,
Chris
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Can you ‘point’ me to it?
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Hi Steve,

There should be a link on the front page (the download button). Here's a direct link https://sqlcequery.codeplex.com/releases/view/110204

Regards,
Chris
Aug 3, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Confirmed – bug is gone!
TX